Rules for dealing with Tech Support
1) Be polite.
- Your problem isn’t their fault, but they are there to help.
2) Be specific.
- Detail your problem completely so the tech fully understands the problem.
3) Call the correct people.
- Your ISP is there to fix your connection to the Internet, not your game of Space Cadet.
4) Don’t try to be a hero.
- Don’t say what you think the problem is, give the symptoms.
5) If you know what your talking about, prove it.
- Correct use of tech knowledge will help solve the problem.
6) If you don’t know what your talking about, don’t.
- Incorrect use of tech knowledge can slow down support and possibly make the problem worse.
7) Don’t bate and switch.
- Don’t call in claiming one, easy problem in the hopes of getting a faster answer only to say you have another, bigger problem. You end up with the wrong expert.
8) Patients is a virtue.
- Some times it can take a while to resolve the issue. Calling back every five minutes will just make it take longer.
9) You are not the center of the universe.
- An entire office down is more important then you surfing Facebook.
10) When ALL else fails, get upset.
- Getting angry at the tech support is an absolute last resort, but some times it is necessary.